I have been working more with the Instagram API lately and had a thought. Could Instagram power a full on e-commerce enabled site.
Individuals could setup stores on a centralized service and administer much of the store’s content through Instagram with some simple tagging.
- Centralized service; that offers DNS trickery to allow for custom domains
- Photos or groups of photos can be tagged with product slugs
#instashop #product #coffee-mugs
- A user could connect their Instagram account and import any tagged photos to a product database
- Stock and pricing options would be defined within the shop’s CMS
- Posts found with appropriate tags will be setup within the store
- Takes advantage of larger predefined audiences for some users
- Helps new or small ventures scale in audience size through good Instagram use
- Encourages social reviews and public conversation about a companies products
- Consistent tagging within Instagram can be tricky due to human error factor on mobile devices. Keeping the tag system very simple should help but could be a tripping point for many users.
- Notification spam / overkill when products are updated
- Locked Instagram accounts would wreak havoc upon the user base and their potential to earn
- At times Instagram security beats most banks. Frequent API activity could go over rate limits if not done well.
Users have a hard time learning a new workflow or UI. This system would require a second browser window to contain Instagram if doing edits or additions to the store. Begs the question if it’s worth it – HA!
Just a thought but could be a fun side project for a quick Meteor build, just for kicks. More Articles